Plan Now for Extreme Winter Weather
Last year Washington State had a mild winter, so plan for a harsh winter with all types of extremes this year. Here are some tips to protect you, your family, and your home before the severe weather hits.
- If you have an electric garage door opener, locate the manual over-ride.
- If the power goes out, turn off the stove and other natural gas appliances.
- During a windstorm, go to a lower floor in a multi-story house to avoid falling trees, branches, or debris.
- Make sure you have battery-operated flashlight and you have extra batteries. Candles can cause fires.
- Turn off all lights and electrical appliances except for the refrigerator and freezer. When the power comes back on it may have pikes or surges that can damage your appliances and electronics. When the power comes back on, the fridge/freezer will come on automatically and hopefully you will not have lost a lot of food.
- Be sure to unplug computers to protect them from possible surges when power is restored.
- Conserve water, especially if you use a well for your water needs.
Winter Storms – Ice and Snow
- Wrap pipes, especially those near outer walls or attics/crawl spaces. Remember, broken pipes can lead to a huge repair bill.
- Have rock salt or sand handy for traction with ice and snow.
- Be sure to fill up your gas and propane tanks before the snow starts.
- NEVER use a BBQ in the house to cook or heat your home. BBQr’s can explode and/or cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Educate yourself on how to shut off your home’s gas, water, and power.
- Get your heating system checked before the winter starts.
- Change your furnace filters and change the batteries in the thermostat and smoke detectors.
- To avoid damage from power surges, install a whole-house surge protection system in your home.
- By installing a GenTran near your electrical panel, you can plug your generator directly into the GenTran and flip the breakers "on" that you want running such as the well pump, freezer, fridge, and some lights.
The two home service companies we recommend:
For Heating Needs For Electrical Needs
One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning Mister Sparky